Table of contents:
The contraceptive pill is convenient, simple and reliable. After their approval in 1960, they have become one of the most popular contraceptive methods on the planet. More than 100 million women worldwide have used contraception at least once in their lives. According to one study, as many as 82% of women of reproductive age use this method of contraception.
The content of the article
- 1 Principle of operation
- 2 Benefits of birth control
- 3 Negative effects on sex
Combined oral contraceptives (COCs) have been the subject of over 44,000 scientific publications. However, less than 100 of the research papers were devoted to the problem of their impact on female sexuality. Some experiments show that birth control increases libido; others, however, demonstrate the opposite, indicating a decrease in libido up to its complete loss.
Principle of operation
Birth control pills usually contain a combination of two female sex hormones, estrogen and progesterone (progestin). Of course, different drugs have different proportions, and hormone dosages have dropped markedly recently. However, regardless of the manufacturer, contraceptives affect the production of female hormones that suppress ovulation.
In addition, oral contraceptives reduce the production of androgens, the female form of the male hormone testosterone, by the ovaries. The problem is that many women produce more androgens in their bodies than are necessary to maintain a high libido. And therefore, even using contraception, most of the girls do not suffer from a decrease in sex drive. Their bodies already produce enough testosterone.
Positive Effects of Contraceptive2
Hormonal drugs have many positive effects that should not be discounted.
- First of all, it is effective contraception. The tablets allow you to gain almost complete control over conception, eliminate anxiety about an unwanted pregnancy. This in itself has a positive effect on your sex life, as it relieves anxiety.
- Relief of painful periods. If every month you have to deal with pain, malaise, fever - there is definitely no time for intimacy.
- Relief of PMS. Birth control can help relieve irritability, breast swelling, and other PMS symptoms that interfere with sex.
- Menses less profuse. Heavy bleeding can lead to iron deficiency anemia, which depletes the body's resources.
- Effective fight against endometriosis. Often, this disease is the cause of severe menstrual cramps, pain in the pelvis, discomfort during intercourse and other manifestations that distract from lovemaking. Contraceptives can effectively cope with this.
- Reducing the risk of developing uterine fibroids. Hormonal drugs reduce the likelihood of benign tumors.
- Salvation from acne. No matter how much you fight with "skin imperfections", and if they are caused by hormonal imbalance - no lotion or tonic will help. Birth control pills are effective in treating this problem.
- Increased libido. There is evidence that oral contraceptives increase sex drive in some women.
Negative effects on sex3
Now let's consider a few unpleasant moments that can be encountered while taking COCs.
- Loss of libido. Sometimes the decline in androgen production is so severe that libido disappears.
- Vaginal dryness. Intimacy becomes less comfortable. Sometimes even lubricants don't help.
- Thinning of genital tissues.
- Painful sex. In some cases, taking COCs for a year or more leads to an aggravation of pain sensitivity.
What conclusion can be drawn from all this? For those women who are seriously concerned about the risk of getting pregnant, or who suffer from severe cramps, PMS, fibroids or acne, COCs can be an excellent solution to their problems. However, if a woman develops vaginal dryness, pains appear, the labia majora or small lips become thinner, libido practically disappears - it may be worth looking for another method of contraception.
Every body has a different response to contraception. This explains the inconsistency of research. For some, pills make life easier; someone - on the contrary, aggravate the situation. The main thing is not to take medications without the recommendation of doctors and a preliminary examination.
Popular by topic
Women are a mystery, many men cannot understand them. We present the basics of female psychology: what they love, what behavioral features exist and how to develop relationships with them
If you have a suspicion that your partner is unfaithful to you, then here are 60 signs that you may be right and cheating on you
What do we know about the female breast? Only that she drives our dear men crazy. But this is not its purpose at all. Although, if you delve into the facts, then this is a very reasonable argument
Does a man's success in society depend on who is next to him? Can a woman's influence on men change their lives for the better?
Any woman, regardless of her age, takes the absence of a partner in her personal life very hard. Here we will analyze the reasons for female loneliness